Monday, July 15, 2013

Stormy Monday!

So I'm sure there are some meteorological reasons for the weather's extreme change in moods, jumping down from the hundreds to high/mid 70s today!! But I will chalk it all up to all of my positive visualizations for a mild, easy, bearable Texas summer. We also got tons of rain today, and more is expected throughout the week, so I'm going to keep up my Mendo hippy rain dances and keep chanting my praises to the spirit world for treating this pregnant mama so well through the Texas summer.

I also got a call back from the birth center today, and was told that everything in my blood was great, iron and nutrient wise, so all is well there, but that my glucose levels were 140, and their cut off is 134... which basically means that I have to go back and do ANOTHER glucose test, this one a two - hour test, rather than the one hour that I did, to see if I have gestational diabetes. It kind of bummed me out, because I wasn't expecting to have a high reading, especially considering how I'm vegan, active, don't have a family history of diabetes, and really haven't been eating much sweets since I've been pregnant.

Since its not too much higher than their "risk" cut off, I'm still not that worried about it, but just bummed I have to drink another nasty sugar water drink, and get more blood taken. It will be what it will be, and from what I've read, if I end up having gestational diabetes, since I do have such a healthy diet already (they recommend a vegan diet if you have it), and now will be doing yoga twice a week (with the new Tuesday night class), plus my other daily walks on my lunch breaks, and weekend activities which are generally pretty active, I'm not too worried about having any significant problems. I'll ask my centering group next week what else to do for it, and who knows maybe other mamas have to go through the same thing too.

Anyway, yesterday Chenoh, Liz and I were super productive, and hit up a bunch of spots and got just about all of the baby shower supplies that we needed. I ordered a couple things on Amazon to put together the gifts I'm making for the guests, and we also picked up a bunch of cheap dishes so we won't have to use paper or plastic plates. After we're finished with them, I'll just donate back, so much better than buying and throwing away. I will have to buy some plastic forks though, we weren't able to find enough thrifting, but I'll see what whole foods has, and get some that are biodegradable. I still need to pick up a few things for our goodies prize basket for game winners, but most of it's already all taken care of, which is awesome. I also bought everything to put together my photo booth accessories, so I need to make those sometime after work this week.

Since Jocelyn is an October/Halloween baby, I thought about it too late, but mentioned yesterday how awesome it would have been to throw her a Goth baby shower! Haha, that would have been so much fun! Everyone would have to dress in black, and we would give out black lipstick make overs haha and of course it would be halloween themed, for food and drinks. Goth or not, I know we'll still have a great party! I did however buy some little halloween plastic rings as little favors, but that's as goth as I'll get to go with it this year. My lil pumpkin girl! OMG! I can't wait for halloween with her, I mean I already love that holiday so much, but now with a lil munchkin, this is going to be so much fun, and her birthday parties are going to be AWESOME!

Jason had the day off today for working so much overtime the last couple of weeks, and when I came home he surprised me with a totally clean house. He's such a bad ass pop! And he's already started to make dinner, his amaaaaaaazing vegan chow mein, that I'm so excited to eat. I have been starting to feel my first bits of heart burn, so I might have to actually start dialing down the super super spicy foods I've been eating. It hasn't been too bad so far, just starting to be noticeable, so I'll have to be aware of it next time we cook with our ghost peppers.

Alright, time to head up to my rocking chair and read to her. I was so stoked a couple years ago when I went to a clothing swap with some girlfriends, and the hostest Annette, was getting rid of her copy of The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. It was before I knew I was expecting my October girl, but I loved that cartoon growing up and it really made me feel so nostalgic, so I brought it home. I'm so happy I did because its one of the few books I have for kids, so I can really get into reading to her while she's still in utero. Oh my goodness, I can't wait to hold her and read to her in my lap. <3 <3

4 comments:

  1. Try not to worry about the second glucose test! I had to do them too and the second one showed negative. It is just such a disgusting drink to suffer twice! They always made me test as my babies were large and you are trending the same way if your lovely photos aren't photo-shopped! Party plans sound so fun, wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, your blog is so great! I am so glad you decided to share it with us.

    I second what Jill said. The thing with glucose in pregnancy is that it's not really related to how healthy you are and what you eat, etc...it is related but it is mainly based on hormones. You are so healthy and active that even if the levels are higher on the 2nd test, you will be fine.

    On a personal note: with my first I failed the one hour and back then we had to do the 3hour test. Yuck! The 3 hour one was awful! But then I passed it. And that is when I didn't eat healthy and was not anywhere as active as you are.

    I have seen lots of moms, some of whom were athletes in college, who tested positive for GD and we never would have guessed it. Those silly hormones and the placenta can trick us.

    In the meantime, keep doing what you are doing, which is being an awesome momma for your little one!

    I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, Thanks so much for reading, and for your comments as well :) I feel so lucky to have our centering group available to us during this special and sometimes confusing time haha such as with the G.D. (Gosh Darn) GD! I have a close friend who lives in Seattle who is also pregnant right now, a few months ahead of me also with GD, and she has helped me to cope with it (if I have it), that the risks are low for me, and most of which as quickly resolved with breastfeeding. We'll miss you this week, but I hope you enjoy your seminar!

    ReplyDelete